As doctoral researchers, working at a scientific institution is an international experience. People from different countries, religions, and backgrounds join forces together for a common goal, but it can be challenging. To provide equal opportunities and maintain a healthy positive work environment, it is very important to be aware of diversity issues. Our group works towards the inclusion of various aspects of diversity in the radar of the Leibniz PhD Network. To this end, we have the following goals:
- Raise awareness of diversity issues in the workplace and specifically as a PhD researcher.
- Include diversity issues with articles, new ideas or changes in documents or survey, and future activities of the Leibniz PhD Network.
- Organize events dealing with diversity issues in the workplace.
What diversity means for us
In this group, diversity is discussed at different levels and perspectives.
- Culture and nationality: An international work environment requires understanding of different cultures. In order to address the related issues, following topics are of interest:
- Language barriers.
- Hierarchical views from different cultures.
- Fundamental differences in culture and cultural values.
- Differences in Education Systems and qualifications.
- Family life: Combining work and family life can be challenging while doing a PhD research. We want to discuss the problems that arise when you have a family or decide to start one while doing your PhD. This includes following topics:
- Family friendly workspace and working conditions.
- Having children in academia: during your PhD and beyond.
- Childcare during scientific events.
- Childcare is not only related to female doctoral researchers. Including men in the family friendly guidelines.
- Gender Diversity: Supporting gender diverse work environment is important. In this regard, gender related issues are addressed in the following topics:
- Challenges faced by female doctoral researchers.
- LGBTIQ+ acceptance & inclusion.
- Coming out in the workspace.
- Lack of gender-neutral bathrooms/changing facilities.
Our articles on Corona situation, Black lives matter event and PhD survey 2017 survey analysis with Diversity in focus:
If you would like to contribute towards diverse, positive and excellent research environment in Leibniz association please contact Navaneetha C Manjappa (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Guilherme A. (email@example.com)