Our group works towards the inclusion of various aspects of diversity in the radar of the Leibniz PhD Network. To this end, we have the following goals:
● Raise awareness of diversity issues in the workplace and specifically as a PhD researcher.
● Include diversity issues with articles, new ideas or changes in documents or survey, and future activities of the Leibniz PhD Network.
● Organize events dealing with diversity in the workplace.
What diversity means for us
In this group, diversity is discussed at different levels and perspectives.
o Culture and nationality: Working at a scientific institution is an international experience. People from different countries, religions, and backgrounds join forces together for a common goal, but it can be challenging. Different topics arise from this perspective:
● Language barrier
● Hierarchical views from different cultures
● Fundamental differences in culture and cultural values
● Differences in Education Systems and qualifications.
o Family life: Combining work and family life can be challenging while doing a PhD research. We want to discuss the problems that arise when you have a family or decide to start one while doing your PhD. The following topics are of interest:
● Family friendly workspace
● Family friendly working conditions
● Possibility of home office for parents
● Having children in academia: during your PhD and beyond.
● Childcare during scientific events
● Childcare is not only related to female doctoral researchers. Including men in the family friendly guidelines.
o LGBTQ+ visibility: Individuals that identify as LGBTQ+ face challenges within their work environments which include:
● Coming out in the workspace
● Gender identity
● Lack of gender-neutral bathrooms/changing facilities
If you would like to contribute towards diverse, positive and excellent research environment in Leibniz association please contact Navaneetha C Manjappa (email@example.com) or Guilherme A. (firstname.lastname@example.org)